One of my favorite things to do at Disney is, well…. EAT. I always want to bring home a little of the snacking magic and what better than re-creating one of the yummy treats you can find at Disney.
My gorgeous friend, Shanika, over at Orchids + Sweet Tea created a Disney themed recipe for me. If you haven’t seen her blog or instagram, definitely check it out!. She has the most beautiful pictures and recipes to accommodate many different diets.
I cannot lie, sweets and pastries are my weakness. When it comes to pastries at Disney World, I can’t think of a better place than the France Pavilion at Epcot. It doesn’t get much better than enjoying a sweet buttery goodie, amongst the replica of the city of lights.
The France pavilion at night is one of my favorite places to sit and stay awhile. It transports me right back to my visits to Paris.
But now, it’s time to grab your apron and check out the wonderful recipe Orchids + Sweet Tea created for us, a remake of France’s Tarte Aux Fraises dessert!
Let’s get started with a list of Ingredients:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold + cubed
- 1 1/2 cups organic whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup organic fine pastry flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
- 2 Tbsps powdered sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup Non-dairy ‘Buttermilk’ + 1 Tbsp (Non-dairy milk + 1 Tbsp lemon juice)
For Strawberry Filling:
- 3 cups diced strawberries
- 1 cup pure cane sugar
- 2 Tbsps lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp of cornstarch + 2 Tbsps warm water
- Cool Whip!, lite version
- Egg wash (1 egg + 1 Tbsp of non-dairy milk, lightly beaten)
- Whisk the whole wheat flour, pastry flour, cinnamon, powdered sugar, and sea salt together in a medium bowl. Add the cubed unsalted butter and using a pastry blender, blend butter into dry ingredients until the mixture becomes “peas-like and crumbly.
- Add the cold non-dairy ‘buttermilk’ and stir until the dry ingredients are moistened. **NOTE: If the ingredients feels a little too dry, add 1 Tbsp of milk at a time, until it’s moistened**
- Add dough to a lightly floured surface and knead a few times, about 2-3 minutes. Now, shape the dough into a ball and flatten it into a thick disk-like shape.